Exact Match
A View of Buckingham House
Title A View of Buckingham House
Museum Name Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata
Gallery Name Durbar Hall
Object Type Painting
Main Material
Medium Oil on Canvas
Main Artist Thomas Daniell (1749-1840)
Artist's Nationality English
Artist's Life Date / Bio Data Thomas Daniell (1749-1840), English landscape painter, was born at the Chertsey inn, kept by his father, in 1749, and apprenticed to an heraldic painter. Daniell, however, was animated with a love of the romantic and beautiful in architecture and nature. Up to 1784 he painted topographical subjects and flower pieces. By this time his two nephews (see below) had come under his influence, the younger, Samuel, being apprenticed to Medland the landscape engraver, and the elder, William, being under his own care. In this year (1784) he embarked for India accompanied by William, and found at Calcutta ample encouragement. Here he remained ten years, and on returning to London he published his largest work, Oriental Scenery, in six large volumes, not completed till 1808. From 1795 till 1828 he continued to exhibit Eastern subjects, temples, jungle hunts, &c., and at the same time continued the publication of illustrated works. These are - Views of Calcutta; Oriental Scenery, 144 plates; Views in Egypt; Excavations at Ellora; Picturesque Voyage to China. These were for the most part executed in aquatint. He was elected an Academician in 1799, fellow of the Royal Society about the same time, and at different times member of several minor societies. His nephews both died before him; his Indian period had made him independent, and he lived a bachelor life in much respect at Kensington till his death on the 19th of March 1840.
Provenance Through Sir Evan Cotton from Messrs Spink & Sons.
Style European style
Period / Year of Work 1787
Inscription Signed T. Daniell Calcutta 1787 in flowing letters.
Dimensions 71.1x91.4cm
Brief Description A view of Buckingham House, which was the old Government House inhabited by Warren Hastings, in 1787. Buckingham House was the third Government House, the first being within the old fort and the second on the river bank, south of the old fort.